Thursday, January 21, 2021

You can call me Timmy

My first Timmy memory may be incorrect. Around 1969-1972, OTASCO (Oklahoma Tire and Supply Company) had some Christmastime TV commercials where a little animated elf hawked their toys. I thought I recalled him saying “Hello, my name’s Timmy” but, after searching the internet, the only reference I found was someone else who had the same memory but, according to them his name was Timothy. I don’t know why that got stuck in my brain all these years. I can imagine me back then going around imitating him. 
About the same time frame, Lassie was a popular TV show and of course Lassie’s owner was Timmy. As in “What’s that Lassie? Timmy fell down a well?”.
I guess from that worn out TV trope, I deduced that it was always Timmy getting into dangerous situations. So, as I became a father with two children to raise, I began to use Timmy as a cautionary tale: “Dad, can I jump off this?” 
”Sure, your brother Timmy jumped off it.” 
”I don’t have a brother Timmy.” 
“Well, there you go.” 
 When I was introduced to my Step-grandson, he was around three years old. We hit it off well since I like to play with kids. I just thought Joel was a harsh name for a three year old’s playmate, So, I told him he coulda call me Timmy. Funny thing though, his other Grandparents think it is hilarious that he calls me Timmy and so they call me Timmy. He calls them Poppy and Gigi but, I guess that’s normal. 
So yeah, you can call me Timmy.

No comments:

Post a Comment